- Professor Emeritus of World Competitiveness, at IMD business school and at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Founder, World Competitiveness Center, and publisher of the Annual World Competitiveness Yearbooks ranking the competitiveness of nations.
- Pioneer of world competitiveness theory.
- Numerous articles and publications on the global competitiveness of enterprises and nations. Columnist in several newspapers and magazines.
- Two bestselling books published in several languages:
- "Top Class Competitors - How Nations, Firms and Individuals Succeed in the New World of Competitiveness" with Wiley.
- “Are you a Tiger, a Cat or a Dinosaur?” available on Amazon.
Business (he was also:)
- Managing Director of the World Economic Forum and of the Davos Annual meetings.
- Chairman of the Board of the Sandoz Financial and Banking Holding.
- Member of the Board of the Banque Edouard Constant.
- Permanent senior adviser to the European management of Hewlett-Packard.
- Chairman of the Board and shareholder of the newspaper "Le Temps".
Association and Public
- Member of the International Olympic Committee Commission for Sustainability and Legacy.
- Member of the advisory committee of the Thai Management Association.
- Member of the China Enterprise Management Association.
- Member, advisory committee, World Wildlife Fund.
- Board member of the ‘Foundation Jean Monet for Europe”.
- Member of The Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences.
- Member of the Mexican Council for Competitiveness.
- Member of the Constitutional Assembly, State of Vaud, Switzerland (2002).